Paving repair is an important component of parking lot annual maintenance that will result in longer asphalt life and lower replacement cost. Sealcoating is a significant ingredient in a paving repair program.
Sealcoating protects and prolongs the life of any parking lot by filling surface holes which reduces exposure to ultraviolet rays, oxygen and the depth to which gas or oil can penetrate the pavement. Over time, the surface oxidizes and becomes faded in appearance. Fresh sealcoat paving repair adds new life to pavement in appearance and use.
There are two methods to apply sealcoat: either spray or squeegee. However, before pavement sealing can begin, the surface must be free of all dirt and debris, cracks need to be filled, potholes repaired, and oil spots must be cleaned or primed to ensure better adhesion to the surface. The air and pavement temperature should be ideally at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit during application and for 8 hours afterward. It is best to keep traffic off a newly sealed surface for 18-36 hours to allow for proper drying and cooling time.
The price of asphalt will always be affected by crude oil prices, which fluctuate when supplies vary. Sealcoating preserves asphalt for pennies per square foot.
Sealcoats generally consist of a mixture of emulsified asphalt, water, mineral fillers, and various other admixtures. Sealcoats are applied directly to the surface of an asphalt pavement. They can be applied by rubber squeegee, broom, or mechanical spray.
Sealcoats serve to seal the top of the asphalt, preventing water from penetrating the surface of the pavement and protecting the top layer of asphalt from oxidation and wear caused by exposure to the sun and air. Sealcoats also beautify the pavement by providing a smooth, black, even surface ideal for painting lines and sweeping.
Sealcoats are designed for off highway use where there are low traffic speeds and tight turning radiuses such as parking lots, mobile home parks, schools, shoulders, etc.
Asphalt maintenance is the key to extending the life of your parking lots, walkways and sports courts. Regular parking lot maintenance and parking lot repairs can extend the life of your asphalt surfaces up to 10 years and save as much as $50,000 in parking lot replacement costs.
What Are Asphalt Pavements
• Mixture of hot asphalt cement and aggregate are combined to form hot-mix asphalt.
• Different sized aggregate is used for specific applications.
• Hot-mix asphalt is laid in specific thickness for each application.
• Asphalt material most commonly used to pave roads and parking lots.
Key to Getting Value From Asphalt Pavements
• Proper design is the first step to a long lasting parking lot.
• Proper installation.
• Proper maintenance.
• Maintenance costs run 10% to 20% of new construction cost.
Elements That Destroy Your Asphalt Surfaces
• Sunlight and oxidation cause the aggregate in the asphalt to ravel from the surface and the asphalt surface becomes brittle.
• Water penetration encourages asphalt cracking while freeze-thaw cycles widen cracks and accelerate the asphalt damage.
• Gasoline, oil and chemicals cause localized asphalt pavement failure and unsightly stains.
Other Factors That Destroy Your Asphalt Investment
• Sub-base failure. Water under the asphalt pavement can cause the base to fail.
• Intended use of the parking lot changed. Parking lot designed for car traffic, but getting truck/bus traffic will cause asphalt rutting.
Asphalt Preventative Maintenance
• A pavement maintenance program should begin within the first five years of asphalt installation and service.
• Continual evaluation of asphalt pavements to stop large problems from occurring is essential.
• Generally, the most extreme asphalt damage occurs during the winter months.
Asphalt Crack Sealing
• Cracks in asphalt surface are openings in the asphalt greater than ¼”.
• Parking lot must be cleaned of dirt and vegetation.
• Hot applied crack sealants are the best for sealing cracks in parking lots.
• Two coat asphalt sealant application is essential.
• Must contain aggregate for skid resistance.
• Protects asphalt binder from oxidation.
• Parking lot sealcoating an be done as soon as asphalt pavement is cured (3 to 6 months).
What You Don’t Know About Your Pavement May Be Costing You Money
• Parking lots and adjacent paved areas are costly expenditures for property owners.
• Getting the longest life possible from your asphalt surface makes good business sense
• Fortunately, it’s an investment you can protect easily through standard monitoring and maintenance.
Preventative Maintenance is the Key to Making Your Investment Last
• Only one thing will maximize your asphalt pavement’s life – Preventative Maintenance.
• Minor defects in the asphalt surface must be identified and repaired early, before major repairs are needed. It means sealing your asphalt pavement to keep out deteriorating elements and chemicals.
• Preventive maintenance is important because even though small fissures in the asphalt pavement are rarely noticeable, they may develop into serious defects if not repaired early.
Thank you to everyone who visited us at the PMEXPO 2014. We hope you had as much fun as we did! Pavement Corporation is a full service parking lot and roadway repair and maintenance service company. We serve lots of satisfied customers in Maryland, Virginia, DC and Delaware.
Congratulations to A.J. Dwoskin and Associates, Fairfax, Va. and Avison Young, Washington, D.C. These two distinguished property managers were our top prize winners. A.J. Dwoskin was the winner of our top prize at the Property Management Expo. The top prize was the Parrot A.R. Drone 2.0. The drone can be used to survey parking lots to better determine repair requirements. Avison Young was the winner of our second prize, a high capacity bluetooth headset. Congratulations to both of our winners.
Pavement Corporation is ready to assist with all of your parking lot repair and maintenance needs including pothole repair, striping and concrete. Contact us today for a property assessment or a free estimate.