Asphalt maintenance is the key to extending the life of your parking lots, walkways and sports courts. Regular parking lot maintenance and parking lot repairs can extend the life of your asphalt surfaces up to 10 years and save as much as $50,000 in parking lot replacement costs.
What Are Asphalt Pavements
• Mixture of hot asphalt cement and aggregate are combined to form hot-mix asphalt.
• Different sized aggregate is used for specific applications.
• Hot-mix asphalt is laid in specific thickness for each application.
• Asphalt material most commonly used to pave roads and parking lots.
Key to Getting Value From Asphalt Pavements
• Proper design is the first step to a long lasting parking lot.
• Proper installation.
• Proper maintenance.
• Maintenance costs run 10% to 20% of new construction cost.
Elements That Destroy Your Asphalt Surfaces
• Sunlight and oxidation cause the aggregate in the asphalt to ravel from the surface and the asphalt surface becomes brittle.
• Water penetration encourages asphalt cracking while freeze-thaw cycles widen cracks and accelerate the asphalt damage.
• Gasoline, oil and chemicals cause localized asphalt pavement failure and unsightly stains.
Other Factors That Destroy Your Asphalt Investment
• Sub-base failure. Water under the asphalt pavement can cause the base to fail.
• Intended use of the parking lot changed. Parking lot designed for car traffic, but getting truck/bus traffic will cause asphalt rutting.
Asphalt Preventative Maintenance
• A pavement maintenance program should begin within the first five years of asphalt installation and service.
• Continual evaluation of asphalt pavements to stop large problems from occurring is essential.
• Generally, the most extreme asphalt damage occurs during the winter months.
Asphalt Crack Sealing
• Cracks in asphalt surface are openings in the asphalt greater than ¼”.
• Parking lot must be cleaned of dirt and vegetation.
• Hot applied crack sealants are the best for sealing cracks in parking lots.
• Two coat asphalt sealant application is essential.
• Must contain aggregate for skid resistance.
• Protects asphalt binder from oxidation.
• Parking lot sealcoating an be done as soon as asphalt pavement is cured (3 to 6 months).
What You Don’t Know About Your Pavement May Be Costing You Money
• Parking lots and adjacent paved areas are costly expenditures for property owners.
• Getting the longest life possible from your asphalt surface makes good business sense
• Fortunately, it’s an investment you can protect easily through standard monitoring and maintenance.
Preventative Maintenance is the Key to Making Your Investment Last
• Only one thing will maximize your asphalt pavement’s life – Preventative Maintenance.
• Minor defects in the asphalt surface must be identified and repaired early, before major repairs are needed. It means sealing your asphalt pavement to keep out deteriorating elements and chemicals.
• Preventive maintenance is important because even though small fissures in the asphalt pavement are rarely noticeable, they may develop into serious defects if not repaired early.
Asphalt raveling is the progressive disintegration of a hot mix asphalt layer from the surface downward as a result of the dislodgement of aggregate particles. Asphalt raveling results in loose debris on the pavement, roughness, water collecting in the raveled locations which can result in vehicle hydroplaning and loss of skid resistance.
The cause of this type of pavement damage can be numerous and include the following:
A damaged raveled pavement can be properly repaired when the root cause of the damage is determined. Pavement repair strategies relating to raveling generally fall into two categories:
Pavement Corporation specializes in asphalt repair and maintenance for parking lots, roadways, driveways, walkways and sports courts.
Infrared technology allows for year round pothole repair at substantial savings and improved repair life.
Pavement Corporation – Partnering with University of Maryland through MIPS (Maryland Industrial Partnerships) to focus on infrared asphalt repair as a faster, better, less expensive and more environmentally friendly way to fix asphalt.
Since 1987, the partnership program run through the university’s A. James Clark School of Engineering in College Park has helped create products that generated $28.1 billion in revenue and more than 5,000 current jobs. Add Pavement Corporation to the list of past recipients which include Under Armour, Black & Decker, Hughes Network Systems, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman.
Professor Charles Schwartz is the partnering with Pavement Corporation. Professor Charles W. Schwartz is the chair of the Clark School’s Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Schwartz received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Civil Engineering from MIT. An international leader in the field of pavement engineering, he has published extensively in the areas of pavement analysis and design, viscoelastic-viscoplastic constitutive modeling, and pavement material characterization and testing. Schwartz has led major research projects sponsored by the National Academies, the Federal Highway Administration, and other infrastructure agencies. He is an Associate Editor for the International Journal of Pavement Engineering and serves on several other journal editorial boards. Schwartz currently chairs national pavement-related committees for the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies and for the American Society of Civil Engineers. He also teaches undergraduate and graduate courses that span the areas of numerical analysis, pavement design and analysis, advanced soil mechanics, computational geomechanics (including pavement mechanics), and civil infrastructure systems.
TEDCO President Rob Rosenbaum and Maryland House Speaker Michael E. Busch speak with Jay Perry of Pavement Corporation. Pavement Corporation through its’ Pothole Pros subsidiary was a featured technology portfolio company at the Maryland House of Delegates on January 28, 2014. Pavement Corporation is the only quality certified service provider for infrared asphalt repair. Infrared asphalt repair can be used year round to repair potholes at a lower cost with increased viability when compared to traditional asphalt repair methods.
Portfolio Companies on Display at Legislative Showcase in Annapolis
Maryland legislators had the opportunity to meet with the leaders of several TEDCO portfolio companies at a showcase at the House Office Building in Annapolis on January 28, 2014. State officials spoke with entrepreneurs who have been assisted by TEDCO programs and were able to see concrete examples of how TEDCO has moved Maryland’s economy forward.