Parking Lot Maintenance
Asphalt maintenance is the key to extending the life of your parking lots, walkways and sports courts. Regular parking lot maintenance and parking lot repairs can extend the life of your asphalt surfaces up to 10 years and save as much as $50,000 in parking lot replacement costs.
What Are Asphalt Pavements
• Mixture of hot asphalt cement and aggregate are combined to form hot-mix asphalt.
• Different sized aggregate is used for specific applications.
• Hot-mix asphalt is laid in specific thickness for each application.
• Asphalt material most commonly used to pave roads and parking lots.
Key to Getting Value From Asphalt Pavements
• Proper design is the first step to a long lasting parking lot.
• Proper installation.
• Proper maintenance.
• Maintenance costs run 10% to 20% of new construction cost.
Elements That Destroy Your Asphalt Surfaces
• Sunlight and oxidation cause the aggregate in the asphalt to ravel from the surface and the asphalt surface becomes brittle.
• Water penetration encourages asphalt cracking while freeze-thaw cycles widen cracks and accelerate the asphalt damage.
• Gasoline, oil and chemicals cause localized asphalt pavement failure and unsightly stains.
Other Factors That Destroy Your Asphalt Investment
• Sub-base failure. Water under the asphalt pavement can cause the base to fail.
• Intended use of the parking lot changed. Parking lot designed for car traffic, but getting truck/bus traffic will cause asphalt rutting.
Asphalt Preventative Maintenance
• A pavement maintenance program should begin within the first five years of asphalt installation and service.
• Continual evaluation of asphalt pavements to stop large problems from occurring is essential.
• Generally, the most extreme asphalt damage occurs during the winter months.
Asphalt Crack Sealing
• Cracks in asphalt surface are openings in the asphalt greater than ¼”.
• Parking lot must be cleaned of dirt and vegetation.
• Hot applied crack sealants are the best for sealing cracks in parking lots.
• Two coat asphalt sealant application is essential.
• Must contain aggregate for skid resistance.
• Protects asphalt binder from oxidation.
• Parking lot sealcoating an be done as soon as asphalt pavement is cured (3 to 6 months).
What You Don’t Know About Your Pavement May Be Costing You Money
• Parking lots and adjacent paved areas are costly expenditures for property owners.
• Getting the longest life possible from your asphalt surface makes good business sense
• Fortunately, it’s an investment you can protect easily through standard monitoring and maintenance.
Preventative Maintenance is the Key to Making Your Investment Last
• Only one thing will maximize your asphalt pavement’s life – Preventative Maintenance.
• Minor defects in the asphalt surface must be identified and repaired early, before major repairs are needed. It means sealing your asphalt pavement to keep out deteriorating elements and chemicals.
• Preventive maintenance is important because even though small fissures in the asphalt pavement are rarely noticeable, they may develop into serious defects if not repaired early.